To all our valued members,
The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the fitness industry for good. We must now adapt and plan for a different future that accounts for impact from the virus and societal change over many months.
Whether we like it or not, even after the pandemic passes, fitness will never look the same again. We are all more cautious about germs and are adopting new habits as a result.
Before, this scenario was unthinkable, but our mentality has changed and so has the way we’ll be managing our business going forward. Our previous business model is no longer viable in this new normal and we must adapt to ensure the sustainability of the business and safety of our members.
It’s important not to look at the past but instead to the future. Our new look business will incorporate a higher quality service and a more premium experience for members. Taking our standards of health, safety and cleanliness to the highest level.
Whilst other facilities in the industry may choose to continue as ‘before’, we believe that it is no longer sustainable or safe for us to do so.
Consequently, we’ve devised a systematic and phased approach to re-opening OneGym in order to create a safe and financially sustainable model.
Your Team at OneGym
- Re-opening the facility to the general public when approved by the Welsh Government (date to be confirmed).
- New Annual membership.
- Limited availability
- £500 upfront payment for 12 months membership.
- Pre-sold from 1st July (Members can secure their place from 1st July, membership will then start from the date the gym is open to public)
- Access during standard opening times. Weekdays 06:00 - 22:00 and Weekends 08:00 - 20:00
- Outdoor classes and bootcamps.
Phase two enables us to reopen the facility to the general public within the guidelines set by the Welsh Government. There will be strict measures in place to ensure the health and safety of our members at all times. During the second phase we will roll out an exciting new indoor/outdoor group exercise timetable.
- Re-opening the facility to the general public, when approved by the Welsh Government (date to be confirmed).
- New Standard Monthly memberships.
- £49.95 monthly payment (12-month contract).
- Fitness classes to resume at a reduced capacity.
- Standard opening times. Weekdays 06:00 - 22:00 and Weekends 08:00 - 20:00
Phase 3 will see larger numbers returning to the gym. It is unclear at present when this will be but phases 1 and 2 will prepare us for when the time comes.
FAQ’s Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is this a permanent change?
A. For the foreseeable future, this will be our model to ensure we can protect our members, as well as delivering a sustainable business. This could be revised at a later date if there are any major changes or developments with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Q. Does this mean that my current contract has been cancelled?
A. No. All contracts have been frozen while the club is closed. However, we will be able to transfer your membership across to one of our new price plans or you if you do decide to cancel you can send a request via email.
Q. I have an existing annual membership paid for in advance. What is going to happen to it?
As a current annual member you have a number of options available to you.
Option 1: Upgrade your current membership to the New Annual Package
Full Single Prepaid
Full Joint (Bolt On) Prepaid
The remaining months of your current membership plus the months you missed due to closure will be added to your new account.
Option 2: Continue on your current membership until the original expiration date. We will honour the remaining term of your membership. Once your membership ends you can either end your membership or upgrade to one of the new packages (subject to availability).
Q. How can I apply to be a committee member and who will be considered?
A. If you can send an email outlining your interest we will send you an application form and arrange an appointment. We will consider all applications and will be in touch personally to provide more detail.
Q. I was told that the price of my founding membership would never increase?
A. These are unprecedented times and while we fully understand your frustration and disappointment, it is no longer financially viable for us to honour this commitment. As a founding and loyal member, we hope you understand our difficult situation and this is the only way to ensure the business survives in the current climate.
Q. Why haven’t you looked at other options such as limiting the number of users or booking slots for members?
A. We have looked into restricting numbers and allocating time slots for members. However, due to the high volume of members at our club and the demand for using the facility at peak hours, we believe that these options are neither feasible nor sustainable.
Q. How are people allowed into the gym from the 1st of July, if gyms haven’t been given the green light to reopen?
A. The gym will not be opening to the public on the 1st of July. OneGym Executive members will form a committee and return on an individual basis to the gym to help us develop and implement our new policies and procedures for phases 2 and 3.
Q. What happens at an executive committee meeting?
A. The committee meetings will take place each quarter and will allow OneGym executive members an opportunity to share their views on the business. They will help us make decisions on things such as equipment, opening hours, class timetables etc…
Q. I want to join as an executive member but I don’t think I can dedicate time to quarterly meetings, are they compulsory?
A. No these meetings are not compulsory. You have the option of attending all of the committee meetings or none at all.
Q. Will there be payment plans available for any of the membership options?
A. Yes. The OneGym executive membership can be split into four equal payments.
Q. What changes are you making to keep members safe when we can return to the gym?
A. Please be assured, we have introduced several additional measures to ensure we are providing the safest possible environment for everyone. These include:
- We are working with the industry body UKActive, as well as with our staff and our members to provide a safe environment to train in and facilitate social distancing.
- We are creating workout areas of 3m x 3m to give members space to safely enjoy a workout.
- We are reducing the number of members in certain areas of the club at any one time to minimise congestion and ensure members can practice social distancing.
- We are asking members and staff members to remain 2 metres apart in line with current social distancing guidelines.
- We are using signage, including clear floor markings to help members to remain 2m apart.
Our cleaning schedules and procedures have been greatly enhanced to maintain a high level of hygiene across all of our clubs. Our new cleaning procedures include:
- All cleaning is carried out with a fully viricidal disinfectant cleaner, certified to kill viruses within 60 seconds.
- We have increased the number of cleaning staff we employ, allowing us to increase the volume of cleaning across the club, with particular attention being paid to areas of high traffic.
- We have introduced sanitisation stations and have increased the amount of sanitiser spray and disposable blue paper available to members to further encourage them to wipe down and clean equipment before and after use.
- We have introduced extra time between classes to allow us to fully clean all areas ahead of the following class.
- All staff members have been trained on our new ways of working for cleaning and social distancing and all will be responsible for cleaning and sanitising around the Club.
Fitness classes will resume at a reduced capacity inline with Government guidance.
- All classes must be pre-booked via the OneGym dashboard and no ad-hoc attendance will be allowed.
- The instructor will ensure that any kit needed for the class is cleaned thoroughly after each class, to ensure everything is as hygienically as safe as possible.
- The instructor will further ensure each workout area is spaced out appropriately, ready for the class, so all members will have a clear designated area.
Q. How are you going to keep in touch with me?
A. We will be sending out regular emails and updates and will be keeping our website up to date with everything members will need to know. Follow us on Facebook or Instagram.
Q. Will I still be able to use the showers?
A. Yes. Our shower and changing facilities will be open.
Q. I’ve seen other gyms are to reopen under their usual model, why are you changing yours?
A. We believe that our previous model is no longer financially sustainable or safe for members. Whilst other clubs may choose to implement methods such as waiting outside for an allocated slot. We want to continue to provide a seamless and premium experience with minimum disruption for members and believe this is not possible under our previous model.
Q. I have an NHS and my partner has a Student membership. What is going happen to these?
A. We will be offering a 20% discount for Services and Students memberships. We will be providing more information on this shortly.